newheader 11-2016

The Magistrate Court of DeKalb County, Georgia

English | Espaņol    
  556 N. McDonough Street, DeKalb County Courthouse
Decatur, GA 30030-3356
Home Page Civil Issues Criminal Issues Misdemeanor Mental Health Court FAQs Contact

DeKalb County Magistrate Court Civil Issues

Civil Matters

If I file my case in this court in error, will I get a refund of the fees that I paid?

return to FAQs page

If you file a case in a Magistrate Court that does not have jurisdiction or where venue is improper, there are remedies available to you that do not involve a refund of fees to you. Upon request from you to the Court, a judge can order the case to be transferred to a court that does have jurisdiction. This frequently occurs where a defendant cannot be found for service in DeKalb County and is determined to live in another county. There is no additional fee for transfer of the case to a Magistrate Court in another county but the Uniform Magistrate Court Rule 36.3B will require that you pay service fees if the case has not been served so that the clerk can send the service fees with the transferred case to the new court. There is a fee for the transfer of a case to State Court or Superior Court.

return to FAQs page

© The Magistrate Court of DeKalb County | All Rights Reserved Site Map  /  Disclaimer/Terms of Use
The Magistrate Court of DeKalb County, Georgia | 556 N. McDonough Street, Suite 270, DeKalb County Courthouse, Decatur, GA 30030-3356 | Phone: 404-371-2261
The Diversion Treatment Court of DeKalb County | 556 N. McDonough St. Room 1200D, DeKalb County Courthouse, DeKalb County Courthouse, Decatur, GA 30030 | Phone: 404-371-2241

Website Consultation, Website Design, and Search Engine Optimzation provided by WebXperts Design Inc. | 508 Compliance Consultation provided by