newheader 11-2016

The Magistrate Court of DeKalb County, Georgia

English | Espaņol    
  556 N. McDonough Street, DeKalb County Courthouse
Decatur, GA 30030-3356
Home Page Civil Issues Criminal Issues Misdemeanor Mental Health Court FAQs Contact

DeKalb County Magistrate Court Civil Issues

Civil Matters

Dispossessory Warrant: Can I withhold rent if my apartment needs repairs and the landlord has failed to make them?

return to FAQs page

A tenant must give the landlord reasonable notice of repairs that need to be done. If the landlord fails to make the repairs within a reasonable time, the tenant may make reasonable repairs and deduct the reasonable cost from the rent. Alternatively, the tenant can file a lawsuit against the landlord for damages arising from their failure to repair. If the landlord has filed suit against the tenant, the tenant may seek to offset the reduction in the value of the leased property caused by the landlord's failure to repair.

return to FAQs page

© The Magistrate Court of DeKalb County | All Rights Reserved Site Map  /  Disclaimer/Terms of Use
The Magistrate Court of DeKalb County, Georgia | 556 N. McDonough Street, Suite 270, DeKalb County Courthouse, Decatur, GA 30030-3356 | Phone: 404-371-2261
The Diversion Treatment Court of DeKalb County | 556 N. McDonough St. Room 1200D, DeKalb County Courthouse, DeKalb County Courthouse, Decatur, GA 30030 | Phone: 404-371-2241

Website Consultation, Website Design, and Search Engine Optimzation provided by WebXperts Design Inc. | 508 Compliance Consultation provided by