Any citizen may make an application for a misdemeanor arrest warrant. It is strongly recommended that the crime first be reported to the appropriate law enforcement agency. There are certain requirements needed prior to filing:
- The applicant must be 18 years of age or older or the parent or guardian must file on his/her behalf.
- The applicant must be 18 years of age or older, or the parent or guardian must file on his/her behalf.
- The person against whom the warrant is being requested (the accused) must be 17 years old or older.
- The alleged crime must have taken place in DeKalb County.
- If a police report of the alleged crime was made, please note the police report number and request a copy of the report.
- The current and complete mailing address of the person you are requesting a warrant against (the accused).
- The complete date of birth of the person you are requesting a warrant against (the accused).
- The applicant must swear before the judge that the facts given on the application are the truth.
Where Do I Apply For A Criminal Arrest Warrant?
To apply for a criminal warrant in DeKalb County, complete the appropriate application online by following one of the links below and email your application to the clerk at email@example.com. You will then be able to speak with a judge virtually about your application.
You can also complete the application in-person at the Criminal Division of the DeKalb County Magistrate Court. The Criminal Division is located at 3630 Camp Circle Decatur, GA 30032. Please call 404-294-2150 for available times and additional instructions for in-person applications.
Types of Warrants:
Please note that the Magistrate Court does not issue restraining orders or temporary protective orders. Those actions must be filed in the Superior Court of DeKalb County.
Please see the following resources for domestic violence prevention and education, advocacy, and safety planning:
Sharee Wyse: (for protective orders and domestic violence warrant applications)
Domestic Violence Case Coordinator, DeKalb Magistrate Court
|Women’s Resource Center|
24 hour crisis line: 404-688-9436
Men Stopping Violence
Toll Free: 1-866-717-9317
Raksha (for South Asian families):
Help Line: 404- 842-0725
Toll free: 1-866-725-7423
|Tapestri (for refugee and immigrant families):|
1-866-317-3733 (outside Metro Atlanta)
Caminar Latino (for Latino families):